High CPU Utilization

Hello,

I have a problem running Ultramixer 2.0.8. After starting UM, my CPU Utilization goes up to 70 percent and therefore sound is stuttering and all buttons react very slow. I looked into the task manager and found out that it is a Java process, called javaw, that is responsible for the high CPU Utilization.
By the way I had problems running Version 2.0.7 too. Problems are mentioned in the thread named “Sound Stuttering” in this forum.

I already reinstalled the latest Java Version, but this didnt help.

Perhaps sbdy can help me or make a suggestion.

Greets,

Christoph

Please tell us something about your system! CPU, Memory, OS, Java version, Laptop-Destop?, …

I have the same problem with FLAC, see the other thread for details.

My systems:
Notebook Samsung X10plus, Centrino 1700, Win XP Prof SP2, 512 MB Ram, Java 1.5.0_06-b05 (installed with Ultramixer). Also tried with power management turned off and max performance,

Desktop Athlon 2600, Win XP Prof SP2, 512 MB Ram, Java 1.5.0_06-b05 (installed with Ultramixer)

tempe

Hi again,

My System: Desktop Computer, Athlon XP 3000+, Windows XP Personal SP2, 1024MB Ram, Creative Audigy 2, Ati X800 All-in-Wonder Graphics Adapter, Java Version 1.5.0_06-b05.

greets,

Christoph

I might add that I’m using an external USB soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile USB) and have drivers for it installed on both systems. But with the notebook I also tried the internal soundcard with the same result.
I have RMClock as power saving tool installed on the notebook and something similar on my desktop system that can reduce the front side bus speed. But, as mentioned before, after turning to full speed and exiting those programs, I’m getting the same effect.
Other than that, I’m running AntiVir, ZoneAlarm, Spybot… nothing special. I also terminated them => no improvement.

tempe

Is there a memory leak or something similar? javaw starts with about 40 MB memory (in the task manager) and goes up and up and up… approx 0,3 MB per second, if no song is playing up to 65 MB. When I start a song (FLAC), it goes up to over 100 MB. CPU usage is always quite high (~40%).
Strange: If I minimize it, it goes down to 7 MB and starts rising again.

tempe

Hi tempe,

UltraMixer uses some kind of smart prebuffering that’s why CPU usage might be high even the song is NOT played. You can try to resize the prebuffer size in the audio setting… That’s will reduce or increase the CPU utilization.

regards
Sl@jaR

Hi Sl@jaR,

I already tried to alter this parameter but didn’t notice any change. Anyway, I think that 30-40% CPU is a lot. BPM only uses 3%, but I’d much rather use Ultramixer since it supports FLAC (all my CDs are stored in FLAC) and looks very good to me. So it’s quite annoying that it stutters with FLAC whereas MP3 is working.

tempe

Hi tempe,

here we measure about 4-7% on AMD64 3Ghz PC’s. That means you’ll have a possible problem on your computer :frowning: I am not quite sure where it comes from. I have seen some broken sound cards drivers that caused higher CPU load.

regards
Sl@jaR

I dont understand then why I dont have problems with any other programs playing my soundfiles. Also, I dont understand why Ultramixer plays MP3 and WAV fine, but FLAC not. Do you have an explanation?

tempe

I really think there is something wrong with Ultramixers handling of FLAC: a FLAC file takes 35-40% CPU and stutters, the same file converted to WAV works fine with approx. 15% CPU.

tempe

Hi tempe,

i am not quite sure if I did understand your problem. I though you had have the same problems with MP3, too. I’ll check the problem and get back to you as soon as possible.

regards
Sl@jaR

Hi Sl@jar,

Actually I had the problem with MP3s and the high CPU utilization caused by the javaw process.

greets

Chris

So, to summarize it:

Chris has a problem with high CPU usage in general with Ultramixer,

hasenmann and I have a [url=http://www.ultramixer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221:9cfc0]problem[/url:9cfc0] with FLAC play which causes stuttering (and, in my case, a shut down of javaw everytime) and quite high CPU usage.

tempe

Hi Sl@jar,

do you still remember the FLAC / CPU problem? Have you found a solution yet?

tempe

Slajar is not available at the moment :slight_smile: We’ll check the issue within the next weeks.

Hi everybody,

as i found out today in the German Support Forum, my problem can be (almost) solved by turning out the new 31 band equalizer.
Now its possible to hear the sound without any stuttering, but the CPU usage is still about 40 percent. This still is a little bit high i think.
Its still the javaw.exe, who causes the cpu utilization.

As said, sound is normal without the equalizer, but now there is no equalizer ;-D

Greets

Christoph

Hi Chris,

Do you use an external soundcard (Creative…)? Some people told us they noticed a high cpu utilization in juncation with external soundcards and the new master eq.

Hi Tobi,

No, I don’t use an external Soundcard, I use an internal Audigy 2 Soundcard. I don’t know if this is relevant, but i have an onboard Soundcard too, which is of course deactivated.
For remembering, my other System Components:

AthlonXP 3000+ , 1024MB RAM, Creative Audigy 2, ATI X800 XT All in Wonder, Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Greets,

Christoph

1. The high cpu utilization is because of the master eq (31-band-eq)… We are looking for a solution…

2. could you turn on the internal soundcard and use it instead of the SB A.? then check the cpu usage again.