Mac version 2.3.8 Home disappoints me

I tried the free version until I was satisfied it would work on my Mac Mini 2.26 GHx Dual Core 2 Duo. I bought the home version and after a few days UM Home would freeze, playing the same note over and over. At the suggestion of an email from UM support I tried the Pro demo. It worked fine for a few days so I activated my UM Home key again. After about three weeks the problems have returned.

I also noticed the skin I choose does not stay applied after restarting the Home version. It did with the Pro demo. I use the 1440x900 Home skin and have to reselect it every time I restart UM Home. I tried a few other skins with the same results.

I’m glad I have not DJ’ed for an audience yet, with the problems I have experienced. For now I’m sticking with iTunes.

[quote=“HotRodJohnny”:c531b]
I tried the free version until I was satisfied it would work on my Mac Mini 2.26 GHx Dual Core 2 Duo. I bought the home version and after a few days UM Home would freeze, playing the same note over and over. At the suggestion of an email from UM support I tried the Pro demo. It worked fine for a few days so I activated my UM Home key again. After about three weeks the problems have returned.
[/quote:c531b]
Please ask the support for further investigation.

[quote=“HotRodJohnny”:c531b]
I also noticed the skin I choose does not stay applied after restarting the Home version. It did with the Pro demo. I use the 1440x900 Home skin and have to reselect it every time I restart UM Home. I tried a few other skins with the same results.
[/quote:c531b]
This is beeing fixed for the next update.

I finally got a reply from Support.

I have noticed another problem. I created my music library with iTunes on an external hard drive. I added some songs today in iTunes and did the Scan with UM. It has been scanning for over an hour and has not found any new music files. Does UM scan the boot drive only?

[quote:e1d61]
I created my music library with iTunes on an external hard drive. I added some songs today in iTunes and did the Scan with UM. It has been scanning for over an hour and has not found any new music files.
[/quote:e1d61]
Sounds like there are no valid files on your hard drive. Please keep in Mind UltraMixer is not able to play back DRMed files. That means you will need to purchase “iTunes Pro” files from iTunes store or you rip CD’s by your own with iTunes.

[quote:e1d61]
Does UM scan the boot drive only?
[/quote:e1d61]
What does that mean?
UltraMixer scans the entire folder/drive recursivly which has been specified by you.

All music files ripped from CD’s through iTunes. There are no DRM issues with my music files. I have not downloaded any iTunes DRM music files. UM played all my songs fine. I added new songs by ripping CD’s with iTunes, but I can’t add them to UM.

The boot drive is the internal hard drive which holds the operating system. The computer “boots” from this drive. This drive is the default location for all music player program to locate the music files. I choose to keep all my music files on an external hard drive. UM takes forever to scan for changes to the folder containing my music files.

But now that I have upgraded UM to 2.4 it does not work. Songs will not load into the player. I went back to 2.3.8 and it is now useless, too. I deleted everything about UM and did a fresh install of 2.3.8.

I have worked out most of my issues and I use UM while DJing in Second Life quite successfully.

Hi Johnny,

that really sounds great.
I really appreciate if you could write a small story about your technical setup for DJing in Second Life.

regards