linux ubuntu UM not loading anything

i can’t tell you how difficult it was for me to get everything just right so i could download UM. now, i finally have it loading… but it won’t take any of my songs. i have tried many different mp3 files, and none will load. can anyone help me with a suggestion? i am kinda new to linux, and new to UM. i am trying hard to understand and make it work. in another posting someone wrote about oss alsa. this is beyond my comprehension. but i just need to know = why are no songs able to load and play?

Probably your OSS ist not enabled on your ubuntu system. UltraMixer needs OSS to play audio tracks. We are working on UltraMixer 2.3.5 for Linux which will support also ALSA on your ubuntu system, so that you can play your music.

when i go under the menu area - and i select the sound option thingie, i see the term “oss” listed. there is nothing under the player 1 or player 2. danke fuer Hilfe.

i am not sure about this oss and alsa stuff. when i loaded the ubuntu os onto the pc - what did it have oss? do i have to enable something? how is that done? xmms plays mp3 files. so the sound card is working. is it an issue of having to tell ubuntu that ultramixer wants to use oss or alsa or what? do i have to go into ubuntu and tell it waht to do?

ok, well, i was able to get a mac system and load ultramixer. and it is working. i would still like to see if i could get it working on the linux ubuntu system. i guess i have to figure out a way to tell ubuntu to use oss or alsa… not sure exactly how to do that. and then i have to tell ultramixer that my ubuntu is using oss… !!!

Hi bree,

I am quite sure it’s better to wait for the upcoming ALSA support in UltraMixer than to get the OSS working on Ubuntu again.

regards
Sl@jaR

can you give a basic explination abotu oss and alsa? also, i have the free version running on a mac now - and for soem reason, it will not load files today either. it was fine yesterday. now today, there is a problem. i was running 120 minute files in both players to see if the program could run all day and night without a hiccup. but when i looked at it in the morning, the splash screen had returned, and i could no longer load files.

now, in terms of the linux version… i tried to run it again and messed with the audio menu item - then after i closed it… xmms would not play files until i went in and selected oss - it had somehow reverted to alsa. so i am guessing i have oss on my ubuntu? and not alsa? in xmms there seems to be a menu item to select the sound file… i sthat how i should refer to oss and alsa? or are they more properly called sound drivers?

does ultramixer have to be told what driver to use for the sound? in the linux version, i only see oss, and am not able to select any other sound driver…

not sure what is going on with the mac version…

[quote=“bree”:e3866]
also, i have the free version running on a mac now - and for soem reason, it will not load files today either. it was fine yesterday. now today, there is a problem. i was running 120 minute files in both players to see if the program could run all day and night without a hiccup. but when i looked at it in the morning, the splash screen had returned, and i could no longer load files.
[/quote:e3866]
Are you sure you are running the Free Edition and not the Professional Demo (this runs 60 minutes until it stops - it’s startable over and over again)?

can you give a basic explination abotu oss and alsa?
I am quite sure wikipedia will help you understanding: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_System
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_L … chitecture

now, in terms of the linux version… i tried to run it again and messed with the audio menu item - then after i closed it… xmms would not play files until i went in and selected oss - it had somehow reverted to alsa. so i am guessing i have oss on my ubuntu? and not alsa? in xmms there seems to be a menu item to select the sound file… i sthat how i should refer to oss and alsa? or are they more properly called sound drivers?

does ultramixer have to be told what driver to use for the sound? in the linux version, i only see oss, and am not able to select any other sound driver…
Yes, UltraMixer does only support OSS for now. As I told you this will change quite soon. Until the the only possibility to run UltraMixer is to have OSS successfully installed up and running.

not sure what is going on with the mac version…
The Mac version uses always CoreAudio.

best regards
Sl@jaR

well in that case, xmms is running on oss. so ultramixer should work. i see there is a screen under the menu that allows one to see the sound driver. it says oss. but there is nothing under player 1 or 2, and i can not select anything… there is nothing to select. any ideas?

[quote=“bree”:60d9a]
well in that case, xmms is running on oss. so ultramixer should work. i see there is a screen under the menu that allows one to see the sound driver. it says oss. but there is nothing under player 1 or 2, and i can not select anything… there is nothing to select. any ideas?
[/quote:60d9a]
Yeah me too, I have the same issue. Thanks!

it must be a bug or something in the UM program. I can’t get it to work worth a darn. on the mac, the program only runs for an hour, then the splash screen comes up and stops the program. i need a rock solid program that won’t stop. once i find it, i won’t mind paying 2 or 3 hundred for it. but this one only seems to run about an hour… then hiccups (free edition on the mac). can’t get it to run on linux ubuntu - no matter hopw many things i try. and it ends up messing up my playback on xmms - which is not fancy, but at least works.

Dear bree,

isn’t not about an hour. It’s exactly an hour for the UltraMixer Professional Demo. You need to register either the full version or the FreeEdition so it runs for ever :slight_smile: That’s not a bug it’s a demo limitation.

regards
Sl@jaR

i am using the free verison on mac, and i did the registration thingie. the spalsh screen still pops up, and soemtimes the mp3 keeps playing, but then it won’t auto dj to the next track… the splash screen appears to stop auto dj mode. also, then, the spalsh screen says “close.”

Well sure, that’s just a second Free dialog, just click “close” and it runs further. Actually, the AutoDJ should not automatically stop. We just ran a smal test over here in AutoDJ mode on UltraMixer Free and MacOSX and it looked quite good.