java error at launch PowerMac g4

As advised, I tested briefly UM 2.0.13on iMac G5 20" 2.1 Ghz in my office (my mistake in previous post, not my G4).
Starting test at home on my G4, program refuses to launch with following screen alert:

[b:1e359]Impossible de lancer l’application java[/b:1e359]
Exception non détectée dans la méthode principale:
java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredCommentlmpl

PowerMac G4 1.3 Ghz - 2Go ram - Mac OS X 10.4.10 - fully updated

Best regards

Hello ptrubert,

did you install java 1.5 from apple.com ?

regards
Sl@jaR

Yes. Version 1.5.0_07-87 when checking in terminal.

Could you please send us the two logfiles “umerr.txt” and “umlog.txt” located at /.ultramixer

Thanks for your ppt reply.
Posting you requested files tomorrow evening when i’m home.

I noticed that the program stops launching at “initializing AudioEngine”. In this respect, I disconnected and uninstalled all my soundcards + respective drivers (Emagic Audiowerk 2, iMic, M-Audio Transit USB, M-Audio Firewire Solo, Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, bluetooth earset Sony HBH-PV705). The problem remains the same.
Herebelow requested files:

umlog.txt
7 août 2007 22:50:12 com.ultramixer.an b
INFO: --------System Data----------
INFO: userOS=Mac OS X
pn=PN 1.0.2.38-32
cpua=32
osa=ppc
javaVM=1.5.0_07-87
locale=en
runtime=-
startuptime=-1
uml=Version: unknown
umv=2.0.13
TotalMem=66387968
MaxMem=530907136
FreeMem=61424176
INFO: -----------------------------
7 août 2007 22:50:12 com.bley.internal.APILogger info
INFO: I18n-File not exists: file:/Applications/UltraMixer.app/Contents/Resources/lib/res.jar!/res/i18n/i18n_en.xml -> Try to use backup-file: file:/Applications/UltraMixer.app/Contents/Resources/lib/res.jar!/res/i18n/i18n.xml
7 août 2007 22:50:12 com.bley.internal.APILogger info
INFO: Load i18n-file=file:/Applications/UltraMixer.app/Contents/Resources/lib/res.jar!/res/i18n/i18n.xml
7 août 2007 22:50:17 com.ultramixer.il b
INFO: Classpath=lib/UltraMixer.jar:lib/res.jar:lib/skinlf.jar:lib/hsqldb.jar:lib/IClock.jar:lib/jdom.jar:lib/jaxen.jar:lib/jaxen-jdom.jar:lib/saxpath.jar:lib/TableLayout.jar:lib/NativeFmodEx.jar:lib/entagged-audioformats-0.15.jar:lib/l2fprod-common-directorychooser.jar:lib/l2fprod-common-fontchooser.jar:lib/tbley.jar:lib/umupdate.jar:lib/freeJSX1.0.7.5.jar:lib/swing-worker.jar:lib/JFreedbClient.jar:lib/jdic.jar:lib/jdic_fileutil.jar:lib/mmj.jar:.:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/.compatibility/14compatibility.jar
+++

umerr.txt
7 août 2007 22:50:11 com.ultramixer.preferences.UMPreferences
INFO: Different key size…
[LaunchRunner Error] com.ultramixer.main.view.Start.main(String[]) threw an exception:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredCommentImpl
at java.util.XMLUtils.importProperties(XMLUtils.java:97)
at java.util.XMLUtils.load(XMLUtils.java:69)
at java.util.Properties.loadFromXML(Properties.java:701)
at com.ultramixer.my.r(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.my.(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.my.a(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.ef.(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.ef.a(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.il.f(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.nt.y(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.nt.t(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.nt.k(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.nt.h(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.nt.b(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.main.view.Start.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:88)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)

+++

Best regards

If it helps, herebelow Java details from terminal:

java version “1.5.0_07”
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)

Best regards

Hello ptrubert,

thank you for your information. We are going to analyze it now. I’s pretty tricky to find a problem that occurs that seldom.

kind regards
Sl@jaR

Appreciate difficulty to trace what is wrong. Meantime, what about posting me a link for downloading a stable previous version so that I can try to launch it + report?

Best regards.

Hi ptrubert,

unfortunately, I can’t provide you an older version.
Instead I’ll try to find a workaround over here and fix it in the upcoming 2.1.

Could you please do me a favour? Could you deinstall UltraMixer from your harddisk? Please make sure the whole folder is deleted. Please remove the folder .ultramixer in your users directory as well. This is a hidden directory. Probably you will have to go to the command line terminal console.
After that just reinstall UltraMixer.

Thank you
Sl@jaR

I did it already. I’ll do it again + report coming saturday pm.

Best regards.

Hi ptrubert,

thank your for your effort :slight_smile: I really appreciate it.

Do you have some fancy or unfancy sound card?

regards
Sl@jaR

As advised, I noticed that the program stops launching at “initializing AudioEngine”. In this respect, I disconnected and uninstalled all my soundcards + respective drivers (Emagic Audiowerk 2, iMic, M-Audio Transit USB, M-Audio Firewire Solo, Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, bluetooth earset Sony HBH-PV705). Just 1 card I have not disconnected (although I uninstalled the driver) is the Audiowerk 2 (PCI card). I’ll try to do so tomorrow + report.

Best regards.

No success.

• I disconnected and uninstalled all my soundcards + respective drivers (Emagic Audiowerk 2, iMic, M-Audio Transit USB, M-Audio Firewire Solo, Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, bluetooth earset Sony HBH-PV705): no success.

• I fully uninstalled UltraMixer from my harddisk, including deletion of the .ultramixer folder, downloaded again (in case my initial download had been corrupted), and installed it again: no success.

• I fully uninstalled UltraMixer again, cleaned all caches (applications, fonts, system, kernel), repaired permissions, runned OS X maintenance scripts (daily, weekly, monthly), restart, reinstalled UltaMixer, repaired permissions again: no success.

The program always stops launching at the same point (“initializing AudioEngine”) with the same screen alert.

All other sound programs are working: my favorite applications (Logic 7.2.3 + Soundtrack Pro 2.0.1 as editor) + some others I tested: Peak Pro 5.21, DP 5.12, Ardour 2.0.5, Amadeus Pro 1.1, etc…

At this stage, I’m afraid that I can’t but rely on…you.

Best regards.

Hi ptrubert,

thank you for your big effort.

That’s really bad :frowning: In your first post you wrote you get this weird Exception:
“java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredCommentlmpl”

Is this still the case when you are starting UltraMixer?

If not and “only” the splash screen states “AudioEngine initialize” then I think we’ve already fixed this MacOSX specific bug for the upcomming 2.1 :slight_smile:

kind regards
Sl@jaR

Thanks for your ppt reply.
Unfortunately, the problem at launch is always the same with the Java exception as initially stated.
Meantime, have you got a downloadable beta of 2.1 to test?

Best regards.

Hi ptrubert,

Unfortunatly I don’t think it’s resolved in UM 2.1, because of this curious exception you posted…

Could you please try the following:

1. Delete the directory: ~/Library/Preferences/com/ultramixer (if present)
  2. Delete this directory: /Library/Preferences/com/ultramixer (if present)
  3. Delete this directory:~/.ultramixer
  4. Find the file “xerces.jar” (in jre\lib\endorsed) and tell us the file date and size
  5. Reinstall UltraMixer.

Tobi

I’ll try when I’m home. Meantime, in my office (where ultramiwer launching ok on my iMac g5), I cannot trace the “xerces.jar” file.
both
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/endorsed
and
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/endorsed

are empty

Best regards.

You got it! Bravo!
Congratulations.
The “xerces.jar” file was indeed guilty (/Users/allusers/Library/Java/Extensions/xerces.jar - dd 23/10/2003 17.21).
I just deleted same, and UltraMixer launched straight away!
I can now seriously test UM at home. I’m leaving for 3 weeks. Starting tests when I’m back.
Thanks again for your prompt and most efficient support.

Best regards.

Hello ptrubert,

thank you for your interesting response.

This is indeed pretty weird. We are not quite sure why this xerces file is causing this error. We think about to provide an workaround to avoid this issue next time :slight_smile:

regards
Sl@jaR