UM2 freeze my machine

Hello ,
I’m running a AMD2400+ CPU (1GB RAM) with VIA chipset (MSI board) and a NVIDIA grafics adapter. My OPsystem is UBUNTU Linux, Dapper beta (Flight 7).
Launching and running UM2 beta5 works well.

But everytime I close UM2 my machine freeze. It is also not possible to logon remotely (ssh). Therefore I can’t provide any logfiles which could possibly show some more information’s.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

a user mode program such as Ultramixer cann’t freeze your system at all. This should be an impossible thing to do since it would be an security issue. As far as I can see, it might be a problem with your current Kernel version or the sound card driver might cause this behaviour.
What we do when closing this program is closing all refernces to the soundcards … This might cause the system hangup. Btw, what soundcard/sound system are you using? ALSA with OSS-Layer or straight OSS? I think it’s the first one am I right?

regards
Sl@jaR

[quote=“Sl@jaR”:2e237]
Btw, what soundcard/sound system are you using? ALSA with OSS-Layer or straight OSS? I think it’s the first one am I right?
Sl@jaR
[/quote:2e237]

Yes, it’s true, I’m using ALSA with OSS-Layer. Any recommendations what to do?

Thx,
Christian

Here is what UM reports (I grabbed the file after the crash):

20.05.2006 09:43:53 com.ultramixer.preferences.d
INFO: Different key size…
May 20, 2006 9:44:49 AM com.ultramixer.widgets.filearchive.ad v
WARNING:
entagged.audioformats.exceptions.CannotReadException: “/media/chrhei_120G/mp3/13) Music from A to Z/t/Texas_Lightning/Meanwhile,_back_at_the_Ranch/03 - No_No_Never.mp3” :java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at entagged.audioformats.generic.AudioFileReader.read(Unknown Source)
at entagged.audioformats.AudioFileIO.readFile(Unknown Source)
at entagged.audioformats.AudioFileIO.read(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.widgets.dualsoundplayer.soundplayer.playlist.j.(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.widgets.filearchive.ad.v(Unknown Source)
at com.ultramixer.widgets.dualsoundplayer.soundplayer.a.doInBackground(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.swingworker.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at java.nio.Buffer.position(Unknown Source)
at entagged.audioformats.mp3.util.Id3v24TagReader.processExtendedHeader(Unknown Source)
at entagged.audioformats.mp3.util.Id3v24TagReader.read(Unknown Source)
at entagged.audioformats.mp3.util.Id3v2TagReader.read(Unknown Source)
at entagged.audioformats.mp3.Mp3FileReader.getTag(Unknown Source)
… 13 more

Thx,
Christian

Sorry, I’ve forgotten to mention the sound card: It’s an onboard VIA 8235 chipset. I changed the Ubuntu settings to make use of OSS emultation, no change, the system still freeze.

Thx,
Christian

Just confirming that UM2 causes a system freeze with Ubuntu Dapper, kernel 2.6.15-22-386 #1 PREEMPT. Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC’97 Audio Controller (rev 02).

Freeze happened when I exit the program.

Trying UM2 again it freezed my machine when I loaded a song in deck 2 while deck 1 was playing.

Tried it on my dell x200 (with ubuntu dapper) and it froze when exiting.

This is the only program I’ve used that’s been able to bring my machine to a complete halt. UM2 shouldn’t need to do anything that other programs I use don’t need to do. So I’d say that even if this freeze is caused by an error in the kernel it’s still something that should be fixed in UM2.

I love the user interface of UM2, the program seems to have all the features I need. However, it’s completely unusable as it is now since I’ve not been able to use it for more than 4 minutes before it either crashes or freeze my system.

Hi,

you guys should probably report this issue to UBUNTU as well. I am not sure if this is a UltraMixer related issue at all.

regards
Sl@jaR

If you could provide me with a small program (and the source) that does the same stuff as UltraMixer does when it shuts down then I can check if this triggers the same freeze, and if it does I can take it to the Ubuntu devs and see what they say about it.

It’s hard for me to report an issue to an open source project when I can’t show them the source that causes the problem.